Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
Tomorrow, Friday, October 26, contractors for the 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project will initially shift half of the traffic on the east side of work zone into the final phase of the project.
Motorists traveling westbound on 13th Avenue in Fargo will encounter:
- Traffic will no longer travel side-by-side from west of 45th Street South to east of 16th Street East intersections
- Westbound drivers will shift to the new north side roadway crossing back to be carried side-by-side on the south side of 13th Avenue between 16th Street East and 12th Street East in West Fargo
Eastbound 13th Avenue drivers will remain on the south side of the roadway throughout the entire project limits.
One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane will remain open in each direction.
During this traffic shift, project contractors will:
- Finish paving operations on north side lanes west of 16th Street East through the West Fargo project limits
- Begin work restoring the medians throughout the east portion of the project work zone
With median work beginning in the east portion of the project limits, drivers can expect right-in/right-out traffic movements to occur at the intersections of 47th, 48th and 50th in Fargo in the coming weeks.
As project work progresses to the west, short-term intersection access changes will continue in Fargo and West Fargo.
The timing of these access changes will be weather dependent, and schedules may vary due to longer concrete cure time in the cooler temperatures.
Current intersection closures include:
- 14th Street E and 13th Avenue intersection (West Fargo): Slated to open mid next week
- Crews will be working to complete concrete paving through the intersection over the next two weeks. The intersection will reopen once work is complete and the new concrete has reached design strength.
Next access changes include:
- 17th Street East and 13th Avenue intersection (West Fargo): Slated to open Thursday, October 25
- Crews have completed paving and the intersection will reopen once new concrete has reached design strength.
- 48th Street South and 13th Avenue intersection (Fargo): Reduced access slated to begin Friday, October 26
- While crew’s complete median work on 13th Avenue through this intersection traffic will be reduced to right in/right out access only. Northbound traffic will only be allowed to go east, and southbound traffic will only be allowed to go west. Full access will reopen in about a week.
Over the next week crews will complete mainline paving operations for the new westbound driving lanes from 14th Street East to 12th Street East in West Fargo.
Lane widths are reduced to a maximum of 11 feet throughout the project during this phase. Trucks and other large vehicles are encouraged to use alternate routes.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 4 will continue until mid-November
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo
- West of 16th Street East: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the south side of the roadway
- East of 16th Street East: Motorists are carried on the outside through lanes and remain on the respective side of travel
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- North side intersections of 16th Street East, 17th Street East, 50th Street Southwest, 48th Street Southwest and 47th Street South
- All south side intersections have access to mainline
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- North side of the roadway – 16th Street East to 12th Street East
- Inside lanes in both directions -- 47th Street South to 16th Street East
- Sidewalks – North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets
- Intermittent intersection work:
- North side access of 14th intersections
- Center median access of 50th, 48th, and 47th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Complete) – Early September
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – (Current) – End of October
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – (Current) – Mid November
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Complete) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Mid November(100% traffic open)
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.