Project: Roberts Alley & Street Reconstruction Project
Late evening Friday, September 28, contractors for the Roberts Street Reconstruction Project will begin work to have full access restored for Roberts Common Parking Ramp. All ramp access lanes for both entering and exiting traffic are expected to be opened during the weekend. When full access is restored, access to the ramp remains from the south portion of the work zone from 2nd Avenue North.
Crews will continue work on Roberts Street in the north portion between the north edge of the Salvation Army to the north edge of Roberts Common Parking Ramp. Roberts Street will be open to local traffic only between north of the Salvation Army to 4th Avenue North intersection.
Roberts Street intersections 2nd Avenue North and 4th Avenue will remain open to cross traffic and other north/south turning movements.
During the second phase of construction activity on Roberts Street:
- Roberts Street between 2nd – 4th Avenue North will close to traffic
- Local-traffic only will be allowed on Roberts Street between Roberts Common Parking Ramp to 2nd Avenue North intersection
- Pedestrian access will be provided on the both sides of the road with the exception of the building area north of the parking ramp (247 Roberts Street) on the east side
- Street parking will not be immediately restored to traffic in the south portion
- When construction activity allows on-street parking will be made available for use
- The number of available spots will vary as construction progresses
- Roberts Commons parking ramp entrance will be maintained from the south side
Roberts Street traffic detours are via Broadway and 7th Street between 2nd Avenue North and 4th Avenue North to accommodate the work, including:
- Installation of new 10” water main on Roberts Street and 8” water main on 5th Street North
- Installation of some new sanitary sewer along with sanitary sewer rehabilitation
- Complete road reconstruction and concrete paving
- New curb and gutter and streetlights
- Driveway approaches, sidewalks and tree planting
The reconstruction and infrastructure project work on Roberts Street is being completed in two phases to maintain access to area buildings and parking ramp with crews working south to north. Work should be complete late fall.
Adjacent Project Work:
The Roberts Alley panel replacement between 2nd to 4th Avenue North is on schedule to be complete by Monday, October 2. Crews have finished the two south portion panels and are beginning work on the north portion panel. This work is needed due to a series of cracks in three panels. Due to the placement of the panels no through north to south traffic will be allowed. The alley remains open to deliveries and parking lot access will be allowed. Trucks and cars will need to turn around and exit the alley where they entered. Pedestrian access within the north and south portion of the alley will function as normal.