Project: Roberts Alley & Street Reconstruction Project
Beginning Tuesday, September 11, contractors for the Roberts Street Reconstruction Project will open the south portion of the work zone to provide access to the Roberts Common Parking Ramp from 2nd Avenue North. Crews will
need to reduce vehicle access lanes from three to one open lane for both entering and exiting vehicle traffic for Roberts Common Parking Ramp. A single bicycle access lane will be maintained into the ramp south of the vehicle lane. The reduced vehicle access lanes are necessary while crews reconstruct Roberts Street roadway in front of the two northern vehicle lanes. Flaggers will be present from 7a.m. to 7 p.m. to help direct traffic in and out of the parking ramp. Weather permitting, work will take no longer than 14 days to complete the roadway connection and additional vehicle lanes for the ramp will open.
On Monday, crews will begin to move traffic control to shift the active work zone on Roberts Street to the north with the south portion open. By Tuesday morning, crews will begin roadway removals on Roberts Street in the north portion between the north edge of the Salvation Army to half way into the entrance of Roberts Common Parking Ramp. Roberts Street will be open to local traffic only between north of the Salvation Army to 4th Avenue North intersection.
Roberts Street intersections 2nd Avenue North and 4th Avenue will remain open to cross traffic and other north/south turning movements.
During the second phase of construction activity on Roberts Street:
- Roberts Street between 2nd – 4th Avenue North will close to traffic
- Local-traffic only will be allowed on Roberts Street between Roberts Common Parking Ramp to 2nd Avenue North intersection
- Pedestrian access will be provided on the both sides of the road with the exception of the building area north of the parking ramp (247 Roberts Street) on the east side
- Street parking will not be immediately restored to traffic in the south portion
- When construction activity allows on-street parking will be made available for use
- The number of available spots will vary as construction progresses
- Roberts Commons parking ramp entrance will be maintained from the south side
Roberts Street traffic detours are via Broadway and 7th Street between 2nd Avenue North and 4th Avenue North to accommodate the work, including:
- Installation of new 10” water main on Roberts Street and 8” water main on 5th Street North
- Installation of some new sanitary sewer along with sanitary sewer rehabilitation
- Complete road reconstruction and concrete paving
- New curb and gutter and streetlights
- Driveway approaches, sidewalks and tree planting
The reconstruction and infrastructure project work on Roberts Street is being completed in two phases to maintain access to area buildings and parking ramp with crews working south to north. Work should be complete late fall.