Project: Roberts Alley & Street Reconstruction Project
Contractors have reopened the north ½ block section of 5th Street North between 2nd Avenue North and 3rd Avenue North to traffic. All pedestrian access and street parking on 5th Street N have been restored. This project work was the first phase of the Roberts Street reconstruction and water main improvement project.
Beginning Monday, August 13, crews will reduce access lanes from two to one open lane into the Roberts Common Parking Ramp. Flaggers will be present from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. directing traffic in and out of the parking ramp. Street parking will be open for local traffic in the north portion. The number of available spots will vary as construction progresses. Currently, Roberts Street is closed between 2nd Avenue North to the Roberts Common Parking Ramp to vehicle and street parking. The full road closure on the south portion of Roberts Street will allow crews to begin with roadway removals.
The project work on Roberts Street will be completed in two phases to maintain access to area buildings and parking ramp with crews working south to north.
During the first phase of construction activity on Roberts Street:
- Roberts Street between 2nd – 4th Avenue North will close to traffic
- Local-traffic only will be on Roberts Street between Roberts Common Parking Ramp access north to 4th Avenue North intersection
- Pedestrian access will be provided on the both sides of the road with the exception of the building area north of the parking ramp (247 Roberts Street)
- Roberts Commons parking ramp entrance will be maintained from the north via 4th Avenue North to Roberts Street in the first phase of work, and from the south side in the second phase
Roberts Street intersections 2nd Avenue North and 4th Avenue North will remain open to cross traffic and other north/south turning movements.
Roberts Street traffic will be detoured to 7th Street North and 5th Street North between 2nd Avenue North and 4th Avenue North to accommodate the work, including:
- Installation of new 10” water main on Roberts Street and 8” water main on 5th Street North
- Installation of some new sanitary sewer along with sanitary sewer rehabilitation
- Complete road reconstruction and concrete paving
- New curb and gutter and streetlights
- Driveway approaches, sidewalks and tree planting
The Roberts Alley project continues to progress, and crews are active on the north half of the alley. Crews have completed all of the underground improvements and have begun paving operations in the next phase of work. The new south portion of Roberts Alley is busy with traffic and open to all forms of transportation as well as deliveries.