Zone: Downtown, South
Project: 4th Street South Road & Water Main Improvement Project
Contractors for the City of Fargo 4th Street South Road and Water Main Improvement project have been restoring access through the intersections throughout the project work zone. Wednesday, July 31, crews reopened access for 11th Avenue South east of the 4th Street South intersection.
On Monday, August 6, crews will reopen the 6th Avenue South and 4th Street South intersection to east and west traffic. Crews will also open access to 10th Avenue South east of 4th Street South intersection once the concrete has reached full strength early next week.
Two block portions of 4th Street from 13th Avenue to 11th Avenue South and one block of 13th Avenue South west of 4th Street are currently closed to traffic while crews are working on the south end of 4th Street South. Crews have finished sidewalk removals on 4th Street South and have begun pouring new concrete.
Project work is split into seven overlapping phases:
- Phase One: 6th Avenue South halfway between 4th Street to 7th Street South
- Phase Two: 4th Street from 13th Avenue South through 11th Avenue South, including work on 13th Avenue South to the west of 4th Street and work on 11th Avenue South east of 4th Street
- Phase Three: 4th Street from 11th Avenue South to half way between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South
- Phase Four: 10th Avenue South from 4th Street to the east
- Phase Five: 4th Street from half way between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South to 6th Avenue South
- Phase Six: 4th Street from 6th Avenue South to middle of Prairie St. Johns parking lot
- Phase Seven: 4th Street from Dike West parking lot entrance to 2nd Street
The purpose of this project is to upgrade portions of the City’s infrastructure in this area including water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, pavement, curb and gutter, street lighting and the traffic signal located at the intersection of 4th Street South and 8th Avenue South.
In addition, driveway approaches and sidewalks on 4th Street South will be replaced. The roadway on 4th Street South will be reconfigured to accommodate bicycle lanes along the curbs.
Adjacent project: Area residents should be mindful of other road or infrastructure improvement projects happening in this neighborhood that may impact their routes, including:
- South of 13th Avenue South: work continues at the new city water treatment plant. Currently 4th Street South is closed for one block between 13th Avenue South and 14th Avenue South.