Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
Contractors for the 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project have reopened the south side of the intersection of 13th Avenue and 16th Street East in West Fargo. All turning movements for the intersection have been restored.
Crews are currently working on the center of the intersection of 13th Avenue and 45th Street South. Late Sunday evening traffic control will be shifted for the final phase of work in the intersection. Early in the morning Monday, July 2, crews will begin concrete removals in the southwest quadrant of the intersection.
During this phase of work northbound drivers on 45th Street S will not be able to turn left onto 13th Avenue. Eastbound 13th Avenue drivers will now be able to turn left to northbound 45th Street S. Drivers are encouraged to use alternative intersections to continue in these directions.
On 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo, traffic will continue to be carried head-to-head, plus turn lanes, on the north side of the street through the work zone. All other intersections will remain open as crews continue with construction activity on the south side of the street.
ACCESS CHANGE – Thursday, June 28
- LOCATION: Intersection of 16th Street East and 13th Avenue –south side
- CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue is OPEN
- REOPENING: Thursday, June 28 late evening, weather permitting
- PROJECT WORK: Crews installed a new water main on the south side of the intersection.
INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENT WORK – Monday, July 2
- LOCATION: Intersection of 45th Street and 13th Avenue
- CHANGE: Phase 3 begins. Reduced lanes and restricted turning movements:
- Northbound and southbound drivers on 45th Street South are reduced to one driving lane
- Westbound and eastbound drivers on 13th Avenue are reduced to one driving lane
- Northbound drivers will not be able to turn left onto 13th Avenue
- Eastbound and westbound drivers on 13th Avenue will be able to turn left onto 45th Street South
- DURATION: One week
- PROJECT WORK: Crews will be replacing sections of existing pavement that has started to deteriorate with new concrete pavement to extend the overall life of the intersection.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 2, the current traffic phase will continue until late July
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo
Traffic control: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the north side of the roadway
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- Southside of the roadway
- Sidewalks: North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets.
- Intermittent intersection work: south side access of 14th, 16th, 17th, 50th and 48th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving on alternative area roads.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Current) – late July
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – Middle of September
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Middle of October
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Current) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Middle of October (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.