Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
Beginning, Wednesday, June 27 at 7 a.m., contractors for the 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project will begin one of the needed intermittent intersection closures on the south side of the intersection of 13th Avenue and 16th Street East in West Fargo. This closure is expected to last for two days.
During the short-term intersection closure, motorists will not be allowed to turn on to the main line of 13th Avenue from the south intersection of 16th Street East. Motorists on 13th Avenue will be unable to turn on 16th Street East. Project work will take crews two days to complete and turning movements on to 13th Avenue from the intersection will be restored late Thursday evening.
Crews are currently working on the center of the intersection of 13th Avenue and 45th Street South. During this phase of work northbound drivers on 45th Street South will be reduced from two driving lanes to one driving lane and will not be able to turn left onto 13th Avenue. Eastbound 13th Avenue drivers will not be able to turn left to northbound 45th Street South. Drivers are encouraged to use alternative intersections to continue in these directions.
Mainline paving operations will begin tomorrow at 5 a.m. on the south side of 13th Avenue between 47th Street to 48th Street South. Crews will also do a concrete pour at the 13th Avenue and 45th Street South intersection. Drivers should be aware that there will be a heavy presence of concrete trucks in the work zone throughout the morning.
On 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo, traffic will continue to be carried head-to-head, plus turn lanes, on the north side of the street through the work zone. All other intersections will remain open as crews continue with construction activity on the south side of the street.
ACCESS CHANGE – Wednesday, June 27
- LOCATION: Intersection of 16th Street East and 13th Avenue –south side
- CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue temporarily closed
- REOPENING: Thursday, June 28 late evening, weather permitting
- PROJECT WORK: Crews will be installing a new water main on the south side of the intersection.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 2, the current traffic phase will continue until late July
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo
Traffic control: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the north side of the roadway
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- Southside of the roadway
- Sidewalks: North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets.
- Intermittent intersection work: south side access of 14th, 16th, 17th, 50th and 48th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving on alternative area roads.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Current) – late July
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – Middle of September
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Middle of October
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Current) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Middle of October (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.