Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
Beginning, Monday, June 18 at 6 a.m., contractors for the 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project will begin one of the needed intermittent intersection closures on the south side of the roadway. Project work will last five days at the intersection of 13th Avenue and 50th Street Southwest in Fargo, weather permitting.
During the short-term intersection closure, motorists will not be allowed to turn on to the main line of 13th Avenue from the south intersection of 50th Street Southwest. Motorists on 13th Avenue will be unable to turn on 50th Street Southwest. Project work will take crews five days to complete and turning movements on to 13th Avenue from the intersection will be restored Friday evening.
On 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo, traffic will continue to be carried head-to-head on the south side of the roadway on the outside driving lane with one lane plus turn lane in each direction on 13th Avenue through the work zone. All other intersections will remain open as crews continue with construction activity in the center of the roadway.
ACCESS CHANGE – Monday, June 18
- LOCATION: Intersection of 50th Street Southwest and 13th Avenue – south side
- CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue temporary closed
- CLOSING: Monday, June 18 by 6 a.m.
- REOPENING: Friday, June 22 by late evening
- PROJECT WORK: Crews will be installing a new water main and storm sewer on the south side of the intersection.
Starting Wednesday next week, work on the intersection of 45th Street South and 13th Avenue South will begin. Crews will be replacing sections of existing pavement that has started to deteriorate with new concrete pavement to extend the overall life of the intersection. The intersection will not be fully reconstructed. This pavement replacement work is slated to last for three weeks.
During the first week of intersection work:
- One southbound and two northbound lanes will be maintained
- Left turns will not be allowed for 13th Avenue eastbound traffic to go north on 45th Street South
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 2 will continue until late July
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo
Traffic control: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the north side of the roadway
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- Southside of the roadway
- Sidewalks: North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets.
- Intermittent intersection work: south side access of 14th, 16th, 17th, 50th and 48th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving on alternative area roads.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Current) – late July
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – Middle of September
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Middle of October
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Middle of October (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.