Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
Beginning, Wednesday, May 2 at 6 a.m., contractors for the 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project will begin one of the needed intermittent intersection closures to prepare for future traffic shifts. Project work will last one to two days at the intersection of 13th Avenue and 50th Street Southwest in Fargo.
During the short-term intersection closure, motorists will not be allowed to turn on to the main line of 13th Avenue from north or south intersection of 50th Street Southwest. Motorists on 13th Avenue will be unable to turn on 50th Street Southwest. Project work will take crews one to two days to complete and turning movements on to 13th Avenue from the intersection will be restored.
On 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo, traffic will continue to be carried on the outside driving lane with one lane plus turn lane in each direction on 13th Avenue through the work zone. All other intersections will remain open as crews continue with construction activity in the center of the roadway.
ACCESS CHANGE – Wednesday, May 2
- LOCATION: Intersection of 50th Street Southwest and 13th Avenue – north and south side
- CHANGE: East/west traffic movements only at 50th Street Southwest
- CLOSING: Wednesday, May 2 by 6AM
- REOPENING: Thursday, May 3 by end of day
- PROJECT WORK: Crews will be removing the median island and installing asphalt across the intersection
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 1 continued until end of this week/early next
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo:
- One driving lane plus turn lane to motorists on the outside through lanes
- Motorists remain on their respective side of eastbound or westbound travel
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- Inside driving lane next to the center median
- Sidewalks: North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets.
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving on alternative area roads.
Speeds are reduced to 25 mph and flaggers will be present.
PUBLIC INFORMATIONAL MEETING SCHEDULED – Thursday, May 3
The first public informational meeting will be held on Thursday, May 3 from 11:30 a.m. – Noon. The open house is a time to come ask questions and learn more about current construction activity with the contractors and city engineers.
Meeting location is the Times Square East Building 4950 13th Avenue South, Fargo on the second floor.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 1 completion (current) – Early May
- Phase 2 completion (starts soon) – End of June
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – Middle of September
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Middle of October
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Middle of October (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.