Project:10th Street North Reconstruction Project
University Drive and 10th Street North have turned back into one-way roadways from 7th Avenue North – 12th Avenue North starting today, Tuesday November 6, in north Fargo.
Contractors for the major roadway and infrastructure improvement project will remove the head-to-head detour route on University Drive and motorists will encounter:
- Single northbound driving lane on west side of 10th Street North from 7th – 12th Avenues
- Single southbound driving lane on west side of University Drive between 12th – 7th Avenues
- Head-to-head single lane traffic will remain on University Drive between 7th – 4th Avenues for both direction until project work is complete to reopen the railroad underpass
After the initial traffic shift, the second driving lane on University Drive between 12th – 7th Avenue will open when pavement markings and traffic control are removed from the east side of the roadway later this week, weather permitting. 10th Street North will remain open with a single driving lane until the blocks between 4th – 6th Avenues open to drivers.
Pedestrian access will be open for north/south travel on 10th Street North and east/west crossings at all intersections between 6th – 12th Avenues. The remaining crossings will open once the project enters winter suspension in November.
WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
- Crews completed the 16-foot concrete driving lane pave between 6th – 7th Avenues
- Crews will complete the intersection tie-ins at 6th Avenue and 10th Street North today to complete the roadway concrete work for this year
- Electrical, fencing, sidewalk, and earthwork will continue in the railroad underpass to support the new storm sewer lift station project
- Street light installation throughout the project limits
With the cooler temperatures approaching, the NDDOT and City of Fargo did not allow the contractor to begin the third phase until the first two phases north of the underpass were complete. The underpass has serviceable concrete in place on 10th Street North to carry traffic and make it useable through the winter between 4th – 6th Avenues intersections.
While crews have been rebuilding intersections and blocks of 10th Street North, crews were also working on a very large project in the railroad underpass to build a brand-new storm sewer lift station behind the east wall (20 feet underground) since May. The scope of work to build a complex project like a lift station are found on 10th Street North Project Page
Work in 2019
The remaining project work is anticipated to take five weeks and will start after North Dakota State University spring semester is over in May 2019. The scope of work will be to complete roadway improvements under the railroad underpass and complete the city utility tie-ins.
A head-to-head detour on University will be in use to accommodate final phases of project work in the underpass; however, it will be shortened significantly from 2018 project limits. Planned detour will route northbound 10th Street North traffic to University Drive to be carried head-to-head with one driving lane in each direction between 4th Avenue North – 7th Avenue North intersections.
All other one-way northbound traffic will remain on 10th Street North.