Zone: Downtown, South
Project: 4th Street South Road & Water Main Improvement Project
Beginning Tomorrow, August 10, contractors for the City of Fargo 4th Street South Road and Water Main Improvement project will reopen phase six of project work on 4th Street South from 6th Avenue South to the middle of Prairie St. Johns parking lot. Crews will then begin phase seven of project work on the northern half of 4th Street South between the middle of Prairie St. Johns parking lot to 2nd Street South. Access to the Dike West parking lot and Prairie St. Johns will be maintained through Prairie St. Johns south driveway during this phase.
On Monday, August 13, crews will extend the south portion work zone of 4th Street South as they move into phase three of project work. Once phase three begins 4th Street South will be closed to traffic from 13th Avenue South to halfway between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South. One lane of east and west crossing of 4th Street South will be maintained at 9th Avenue South and 10th Avenue South.
Next week crews will finish paving through the remaining phase two intersections and complete curb and sidewalk work in that phase.
The project work is split into seven overlapping phases:
- Phase One: (Completed) 6th Avenue South halfway between 4th Street to 7th Street South
- Phase Two: (Current) 4th Street from 13th Avenue South through 11th Avenue South, including work on 13th Avenue South to the west of 4th Street and work on 11th Avenue South east of 4th Street
- Phase Three: 4th Street from 11th Avenue South to halfway between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South
- Phase Four: (Completed) 10th Avenue South from 4th Street to the east
- Phase Five: 4th Street from half way between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South to 6th Avenue South
- Phase Six: (Current) 4th Street from 6th Avenue South to middle of Prairie St. Johns parking lot
- Phase Seven: 4th Street from the middle of Prairie St. Johns parking lot to 2nd Street
The purpose of this project is to upgrade portions of the City’s infrastructure in this area including water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, pavement, curb and gutter, street lighting and the traffic signal located at the intersection of 4th Street South and 8th Avenue South.
In addition, driveway approaches and sidewalks on 4th Street South will be replaced. The roadway on 4th Street South will be reconfigured to accommodate bicycle lanes along the curbs.
Speeds are reduced to 25 mph through both work zones. Please slow down and watch for trucks entering and exiting the work area.
The project work should be complete by mid-October.
Adjacent project: Area residents should be mindful of other road or infrastructure improvement projects happening in this neighborhood that may impact their routes, including:
- South of 13th Avenue South: work continues at the new city water treatment plant. Currently 4th Street South is closed for one block between 13th Avenue South and 14th Avenue South.