The Children's Services Department offers a variety of materials and programming for children and their families.
Join us for a rockin' good time during the 2018 Summer Reading Program at the Fargo Public Library! Earn prizes and a free book, and take part in some of the many fun events and activities we have planned from June 4 through August 4.
Pick up a Reading Log (Readers) or Activity Log (Pre-Readers) at any one of our library locations, or online, beginning June 4. Keep track of the time spent reading or activities completed and return to the library to collect your prize. Keep in mind, summer reading activity sheets for the Reader’s Challenge are always available online for Pre-readers and Readers, too. Join us each week as we find new ways to rock the library and read our way through the summer!
Music & Mayhem: Activities for the week of June 11-16
- Messy Mini Masterpieces: Baby Art Experiences: We are pushing the tables out of the way, laying out the paints and paper, and letting the little ones make mini masterpieces at the library. Babies ages 6 to 24 months and their caregivers are invited to join us at the Northport Branch on Tuesday, June 12 at 10 a.m., or at the Dr. James Carlson Library on Thursday, June 14 at 10 a.m. These creative sessions offer an exploratory, stimulating, and safe environment for you and your baby to become familiar with basic art materials. Come prepared to get messy! Please bring a towel for easier baby clean up at the end. No registration is required.
- Pop Art Painting: Pop goes the painting! Get out your aprons and your smocks, because there's going to be a whole lot of painting going on. Sessions will be held at the Northport Branch on Tuesday, June 12 at 2 p.m. and at the Dr. James Carlson Library on Thursday, June 14 at 2 p.m.. This event is open to children ages 8 to 12. No registration is required.
- Retro Recess: School's out and it's recess all summer long! Celebrate some old school games and activities - musical chairs, hot potato, and more! Join us at the Main Library on Friday, June 15 at 2 p.m. This event is open to children of all ages. No registration is required.
- Music and Mayhem: Family Dance Party: Go get your grandma, bring along your brother, and call up your cousin - it's a family dance party! We'll be kicking out the jams all morning long with music, dancing, activities, and snacks (to keep up our energy, of course). So bust out your boogie shoes and stop by the Main Library on Saturday, June 16 at 10 a.m.! This event is open to children of all ages and their families. No registration is required.
Fargo Public Library Talent Show
The Fargo Public Library Talent Show returns this summer and we are looking for contestants! Area kids and teens in grades 1-12 are invited to enter. If you sing, dance, juggle, play an instrument or have any other performing skills, show us what you’ve got! The show will be held at the Main Library on Tuesday, June 19 at 6:30 p.m. All participants will receive prizes, and trophies will be awarded in three different age groups. Be sure to check out the guidelines below. If you have questions, call 701.241.1495.
• Must provide own music, props, etc. (We’ll provide the sound system and we have a digital piano available for use by contestants)
• All routines, music, lyrics, choreography and costumes must be suitable for all ages
• Performance not to exceed 5 minutes
• Must attend rehearsal on Monday, June 18 at 6:30 p.m. or do a walk-through earlier in the day
• Pre-registration is required and may be completed by calling 701.241.1495
Fargo History Hunt
The Fargo History Hunt is back with all different buildings! Take a peek into Fargo’s past. From June 4 to August 4, pick up a map at any Fargo Public Library location and follow the trail to 12 of downtown Fargo’s historic buildings. Use the clues provided to find answers to questions about each building, along with a jigsaw puzzle piece. Complete the questions and the puzzle and return to the library. Show a librarian your puzzle to be entered into a grand prize drawing. The puzzle is yours to keep! The Fargo History Hunt is once again made possible through a donation from the Friends of the Fargo Public Library. All ages are invited to participate. One puzzle/entry per person. Please note that some buildings are businesses with irregular hours.
Baby Rhyme Time
Babies ages birth to 18 months are invited to join us on Thursday, June 21 for the next sessions of lapsit storytimes. Held the first and third Thursday of each month, Baby Rhyme Time takes place at the Dr. James Carlson Library at 10 a.m., and at the Main Library at 6:30 p.m. Share songs, fingerplays, short books, rhythms and rhymes with your baby while introducing them to books and the library! Each session concludes with open play time. No registration is required. One child per grown-up lap please.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Children's Services Department. We'll be happy to help!